background-bourgogne

Visit Château de Joux

Castel

Gratuit avec le The Burgundy-Franche-Comté Pass


Pricing information

Contact

https://chateaudejoux.com

03 81 69 47 95


Château de Joux

Mentioned as early as the 11th century, probably built of wood and then rebuilt in stone from the 12th century, this fabulous edifice was in turn a medieval castle, a frontier fortress reworked by Charles V and then by Vauban, a state prison under the Ancien Régime, the Revolution and the Empire - Toussaint Louverture, the young Mirabeau and Heinrich Von Kleist were all locked up here - and then an artillery fort forming part of the Maginot Line.

Today, this monument, set in a grandiose and romantic natural setting, is a life-size book on the history of military architecture over the last ten centuries.

With some six hundred exhibits, the Musée d'Armes, now closed* to visitors, offers a genuine retrospective of French military weaponry and equipment, from the 17th century to the Lebel rifle of 1886. Some forty extremely rare exhibits have earned the museum an international reputation.

*The Musée d'Armes is closed for renovation, but part of the collection can be viewed at the Musée de Pontarlier.

PLEASE NOTE: due to major works at La Cluse-et-Mijoux, Château de Joux will be CLOSED FROM 24 JUNE TO 12 JULY INCLUSIVE.

Hours :


Open from 29 March to 15 November 2024.Guided tours only from 29 March to 4 July and from 1 September to 15 November.From 5 July to 31 August, guided tour and free discovery trail.